Oct 2, 2018 - There was a telling comment from Shell Global’s Maarten Wetselaar — representing five multinational investors in a $40 billion project to ship B.C. liquefied natural gas to Asia — amidst the hoopla that accompanied Tuesday’s LNG announcement.
Oct 2, 2018: VICTORIA — Premier John Horgan says his government is mulling ways to implement all of the taxes and relief for the LNG Canada project without a vote in the legislature, a scenario that would avoid a showdown with the NDP’s power-sharing partners the B.C. Green party.
Horgan told Postmedia News on Wednesday that one tax break most observers thought would need legislation – repealing the previous Liberal government’s 3.5 per cent LNG income tax – can potentially just be avoided entirely.
LNG Canada has announced it will go ahead with its fracked gas project in Kitimat.
This is not the end of the fight - it is the beginning!
You may have already heard the news but here are the opening lines of the corporate press release:
"SINGAPORE / VANCOUVER - A massive liquefied natural gas (LNG) export project in Canada has been given the final go-ahead by project partners, LNG Canada said on Tuesday, making it the first major new project for the fuel to win approval in recent years.
While Prime Minister Trudeau and BC Premier Horgan are proudly congratulating themselves on building the Canadian economy with the announcement of a multibillion dollar LNG plant, the rest of us are wondering what the hell is going on here.
These two climate warrior leaders are celebrating plans for a massive carbon bomb that will make it impossible to meet greenhouse gas reduction targets. It will ensure Canada continues as a climate fossil dinosaur in world opinion.
BC Premier John Horgan considers ways to proceed with ‘LNG Canada’ project in Kitimat without an approval vote in the Legislature, by Rob Shaw, Vancouver Sun, Oct 2, 2018
One year after assuming the helm at B.C. Hydro, president and chief operating officer Chris O’Riley went before the Vancouver Board of Trade earlier this month for a progress report on Site C. “I want to start by acknowledging that Site C has been extremely challenging,” he began.
An investigation into whether fossil fuel companies are responsible for disastrous climate impacts in the Philippines will bring that country’s Commission on Human Rights to New York City next week, when it will hold the fourth in a series of hearings on the case.